Tuesday, May 08, 2007

To Laser or Not to Laser


So, I have been giving this laser eye surgery some thought...and what conclusions have I come to? Well, the jury is still out on that one. Kate recently went under the red laser and had PRK corrective eye surgery. Let me tell you, there is nothing more frustrating than watching someone you love in pain...especially if it is something they volunteered to do...what am I a gonna do, go pick a fight with a laser? Let me tell you something...despite the Wii boxing reputation that precedes me, I could kick that freaking laser's ass. But seriously, so far the results of Kate's "procedure" (they don't like it when I call it an operation) have been good. Sure there have been some moments of itchiness, pain, discomfort but that is what meds are for. Side bar: if you ever hang out with Kate and asks you for some Ativan do us both a favour and do not give her any...looooopy. She has been a tough cookie and I think she will see (pun intended) the fruits of her patience in the next few days. As for me? Well I think I am still a bit of a wuss because I am not 100% sold on having my eyes "fixed". Perhaps my good friend Greg can re-convince me LASEK is a good idea.

3 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Kate From England said...

OK - to clarify, me and Ativan. I took some on the 1st night to help me sleep, woke up after an hour tripping my head off...I didn't know where I was, I was trying to itch my eyes, H thought I was going mental...that's the story, and from my end, it was awesome!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Matt - you should see if your a candidate for Lasik, the can opener version aka the kind I had first. Meetings and consultations are free - you pay for the operation the day you show-up... showing up is up to you. May as well see if you're a candidate, what options are available to you before wondering to do something, maybe you're not a candidate all together - I think there's a limit on Eye Brow size... I mean pupil size - get the variables out of the way.

For me, I had some scar tissue from a recent infection, and it was up in the air for about 24 hours whether I would need PRK... and with Wedding <3 months away, and me being a giant wuss, I was hoping for the can opener, and although I never told Kate - I am not sure if I would have done it if PRK was my only option. Although if my prescription warranted coke bottles like Kate (haha) I may have been the super trooper like she's being.

Get the variables out of the way so you atleast know what to fear - or what your options are - no commitment to do that. And if it's the can opener... it's a piece of cake, go for it. If it's PRK - I'll Leave Kate do the convincing. The results when the healing process is over will be so worth it, even for the discomfort she's going through now - and really whats 1 week over the span of a lifetime in the big picture.

And, dude you're not putting a dent in that laser... especially if it's strapped to the head of a SHARK!

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger BloggerBride said...

Matt- I did the Lasik a couple years back and it changed my life! It's the best thing EVER. Joe and I got our scuba certification last year, something I never could have done pre-lasik.

There was no down time at all. I had it on a Thursday and was back to work the next Monday. Super simple.

Also, Joe was in the waiting room and able to watch me get it done, so I'm pretty sure he sympathizes with what you went through with Kate's damn laser.

ps. Captain Ativan was my hero too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home